Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Creating “Tickler” smart list in RTM (the GTD way)

sunilgtder says:
I use “Tickler” smart list to keep all the tasks with future start date (tomorrow onwards).

- Tasks with start date but no due date (Tasks which can be deferred or scheduled for future)

- Tasks with start date & due date (I always assign a start date for a task with due date. It provides me heads up & enough preparation and planning time. I assign the start date one week before due date)

Filter Query for Tickler list:
startAfter:Today

On the day of start date, these tasks will be moved to another smart list “Today*”. Based on my daily review either

- I assign a focus tag “star” to do the task if I need to complete the task as soon as possible (or)

- I remove the start date so that it goes to another smart list of actions “Anytime” (or)

- I postpone the task by changing the start date to a future date if I think no action is required in near future

This way “Tickler” smart list helps me not to worry about future tasks because it moves these tasks to my focus list “Today*” at the right time when my attention is required.

Following is my set up for smart lists "Today*" and "Anytime"

Smart list “Today*”:
Tasks falling under following categories will be listed here.
- Tasks due today (my tasks, waiting for tasks)
- Tasks Overdue
- Tasks with tag “star” (These are focus tasks chosen from smart list “Anytime”)
- Tasks start today (from smart list “Tickler” for review and further planning)

Filter Query for “Today*”:
tag:star OR dueBefore:tomorrow OR start:today

Smart list “Anytime”:

Tasks falling under following category will be listed here.
- Tasks without start date and without due date

Filter query:
not tag:someday and start:never and due:never

Posted at 9:58am on June 29, 2018
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi sunilgtder,

This is a great use of Smart Lists! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.

Thanks for sharing! :)
Posted 5 years ago