Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keep in touch with friends and family

quam says:
Sometimes good friendships are lost just because because we are very busy with daily life, we move, or just don't visit the same clubs anymore. Whatever reason life comes up with for loosing contact, I would still like to keep in touch with friends and family, but I loose track of who did I speek to when the last time. Sometimes even a call every six month is enough to keep connections to interesting and beloved people alive.

So here's my RTM approach:

1. create a list for contacts, I call it "contacts"

2. add contacts and set the "repeats" property to X weeks or months. Best for me is repeats > advanced > after copletion. So the task will be only repeated if I complete it by getting in touch with somebody.

3. (optional) create a smart list "kit" (short for keep in touch) with

a) list:contacts AND dueBefore:"1 week" --- to see calls/hangouts for tue upcoming week.

- or personally preferred -

b) list:contacts AND dueBefore:"1 week" NOT dueBefore:today --- if you dont want see overdue calls.
After all it's a can-task not a must-task. In this case it is propably better to use the regular "repeats" option: That way, if you don't call this week, the task will automatically pop up next week again. Clean up missed oportunities in the "contacts" list whenever you feel like it.

As other RTM-users have pointed out in their tricks, its useful to summarize a call/hangout in the notes section of the task. That way I know where to start the next conversation from.

If I ask myself: "Hey, when was the last time I talked to Bob" then the completed tasks section is the place to look.

Best whishes and stay connected!
Posted at 11:10am on February 9, 2018
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi quam,

Great tip! Bob is using this to stay in touch with his long lost relatives. :)

This is a Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 5 years ago