Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Set targets to keep resolutions

rdseabrook says:
Many of us make New Year's resolutions to counter a bad habit. But many resolutions are expressed too imprecisely to be effective: for example, "drink less alcohol." To be motivating, goals should be SMART: specific, measurable, agreed-upon, realistic, and time-based.

For the last few years I have set a task called "no alcohol" that repeats after one day, forever. I then count up the number of "no alcohol" days each year using a smart search such as this:

name:"no alcohol" AND completedBefore:01/01/18 AND completedAfter:01/01/17

The search returns the number completed within the timeframe in the form "XX completed."

If you do this you may be shocked to find how few times you completed the task. This year, for the first time, I have set a numerical target for the year. I find it super-motivating, and maybe you will too.
Posted at 2:42pm on January 19, 2018
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi rdseabrook,

Nice idea! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 6 years ago
progress4ward says:
I love this idea. I've been looking for something to motivate me & track my sober days. RTM is perfect since it's looked at daily. Thank you!
Posted 6 years ago