Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Basic Time Management

danielalbu says:
As a freelancer, sometimes you want to know how much time you spent on a certain task.

While relying on 3rd party time management tools can be useful for complex time management, most of the time you just want to start working on one task and see how much time has passed once you've completed it.

In order to do this, I assign a task to myself once I start working on it - This will change the "updated" field (which is listed in the "Info" popup) to the current time.

When I complete the task, you can copy the "Updated" value and paste it in the "Start Time" field - then, you can mark it as "Complete" in RTM.
This way when you review your completed tasks, you'll be able to see the exact start time ("Start" field) & end time ("Completed" field) of each completed task!

Posted at 9:40am on December 25, 2016
progress4ward says:
I just tried this & it's genius!! It can be a great motivator to get things done faster. Or, to find where time is being wasted. It could be used in a multitude of ways! You are brilliant! Now, I'm brainstorming the many ways this could come in handy!! Thank you! :-)
Posted 7 years ago
valyncha says:
This is a great idea. You can also type "now" into the start field to get the same timestamp.
Posted 7 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Daniel,

This is a really creative tip! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 7 years ago
danielalbu says:
Thanks!
Posted 7 years ago