Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Pausing tasks formula

fizzyice says:
To pause tasks for a specified number of days.

The formula I use in the smart list for this is:-

(tag:x1 AND updatedWithin:"1 day of today") OR (tag:x2 AND updatedWithin:"2 days of today") OR (tag:x3 AND updatedWithin:"3 days of today”)

You can use the word ‘now’ instead of ‘today’ in the formula.

I go up to 7 days in mine.

I have named this smart list ’pps’, you can name it what you want.

Next, incorporate this into any other smart list that you wish to pause tasks in by typing the following in its formula:-

NOT list:pps

I have added this to my ‘😀T-O-D-A-Y😀’ smart list. (This is my goto smart list everyday and I use emojis so I can spot it easily.

Using this allows me to add a tag, either ‘x1’ or ‘x2’ or ‘x3’ etc to any tasks in the specified smart list that I wish to pause.

So if I decided I don’t want to see a task in my ‘😀T-O-D-A-Y😀’ list for the next 3 days then i will add the tag ’x3’ to that particular task. The task then disappears from that list for 3 days, then 3 days later it automatically reappears in that list without me having to do anything to it.

As long as you don’t update these tagged tasks when in use, it should work well. Remove the tags when they are no longer needed otherwise updating the task later will cause it to hide again from that list.

I use this instead of “postpone’ when I don’t want to disturb the due date or start date, or if it’s a repeating task etc, but there maybe other uses for it.
Posted at 10:15am on February 24, 2016
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Really smart method, well worth being a Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner!
Posted 8 years ago
fizzyice says:
Have switched from using Safari to Google Chrome, this method doesn't appear to work in Chrome, any reason why?
Posted 7 years ago
fizzyice says:
....ok, sorry it seems to be working now, my mistake!
Posted 7 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi fizzyice,

Love this clever use of Smart Lists! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. Thanks for sharing your tip! :)
Posted 7 years ago
pdquilty says:
I just saw this in the Tips & Tricks Tuesday. I love this tip. I'm modifying my smart lists now.
Posted 7 years ago