Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Remodeling the RTM Way

dillo99 says:
I do lots of house remodeling type projects and I have come to rely on RTM as the best way to organize those projects. I used to use Excel but RTM gives a much more flexible and comprehensive planning approach. I start with a list created for the project and begin by just brainstorming everything I have to do. Let's say I am remodeling a bathroom, this might include a starting list like:
Rip up the old tile
Paint Vanity
Paint Walls
Order new towel rods
Pick out new tile
etc.
I don't worry about order - I just do a capture of everything I can think of. Later I will go through and organize the tasks into an order that makes sense. This is also a great way to address future projects and ideas. I'll sometimes plan a project for a few months and just collect ideas and thoughts on my project list.

When it comes to organizing the tasks, the new RTM gives me many options. I can use priorities, dates or even drag tasks into the right place. Sub-tasks can also be used to move the tasks quickly and easily into the right place. I tend to go the priority route plus use sub- tasks. For priority I just start by marking those that need to be done first - That way I don't get overwhelmed with my planning. I also will use tags to mark things for follow-up. For example, I have a tag called "hardware" which is for whenever I am at the hardware store (Example: Buy new toilet seat #hardware). You can also make this a location tag if you want RTM to remind you when you get near your hardware store. I also have a tag for "on-line" that is for things I want to do when at my computer.

Each day when I am planning my work for the day I prioritize the things I want done and make sure they are a "1". These sets a goal that I strive to reach by completing all the priority items on a given day. It is very satisfying to check those things off as I work!
Posted at 1:37pm on December 22, 2014
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi dillo99, awesome tip! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 8 years ago