Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Setting Daily Reminder later in the day

nodonovan says:
I have new Tasks appear every day in my Smart List called Today. When I open up RTM every morning I am automatically taken to this list and get on with performing all the tasks and completing them. I'm sure this is a familiar scene to a lot of us RTM users.

For some time now I have had my daily reminder of today's tasks set to arrive in my email inbox and on my smartphone at 7.00am before I head off to work. This seemed the intuitive thing to do at the time when I first set everything up when I joined Remember the Milk some years ago. Because I am in the habit of *always* going to my Today list, having a daily reminder arrive 1/2 hour before I looked at the list became superfluous ( I don't need reminding of something I am definitely going to do out of habit). As a consequence I have found myself immediately deleting the email..... All a bit pointless.

I had a revelation a few weeks ago and have now set my daily reminder to come in later in the day around lunchtime. Given that I have already spent the preceding 4 or 5 hours chipping away at my tasks, the daily reminder is much shorter than it would have been had it come in first thing and is a genuine reminder to get my other tasks completed before the end of the day.

A very simple thing to do but *very* effective!

Nick
Posted at 11:09pm on April 30, 2014
nodonovan says:
I should also add that it really does motivate me to complete tasks as I have a sort of competition with myself to get the reminder list as short as possible before it lands in my email!
Posted 9 years ago
mikabren says:
I like the idea very much! I'm going to experiment with this.
Posted 9 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi nodonovan,

Great tip! :) Thanks for sharing this.

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner -- we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 9 years ago
jhoffman says:
Thanks, I'm going to try this out too! Another benefit for me: because I'm an academic and it's summertime, my sleep schedule is kind of unpredictable and sometimes I miss the daily reminder altogether because I still have my phone turned off when it arrives in the morning.
Posted 9 years ago