Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Kill dates

cadetblue says:
Often I use RTM not only to record activities that are recurring or must be completed, but as a way to collect activities that I would like to complete but I do not have to. They can be ideas, web pages to visit, something to study and learn, whatever. They are at risk to contribute to the growth of a bunch of undone activities without a real deadline that is too bloated to be managed. They will be forgot, or will distract you, or will be postponed every day if you set a date, or they will waste your time due to the need to clean inflated lists. Even defining a complex segmentation or a full fledged priority system do not solve the issue because the activities stay there as a static mass requiring a proactive behaviour from us. So i use jointly "kill dates" and smart lists. When I add an activity which is not a must and I am not required to complete, i add the tag: "kill" and then I add a date so that only one of the following happens: I am able to complete the activity before the end or I delete the activity without pity (should the activity be something really worth it will come in my mind later on). Then I define couple of very smart lists:

1. A calendar to see incoming tasks: not due:never AND not tag:kill
2. A Kill Date list, a complete-or-cancel list of activities: tag:kill

This works very well for me because:

1. Kill-Dates is a list of "optional" activities grouped together and naturally ordered by priority according to the kill date entered;
2. Activities with a Kill date flow naturally in my today list, so they will be easily deleted without be kept in the bunch
Posted at 3:11pm on December 12, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi cadetblue,

I think this is the most original use for due dates that I've seen. :)

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 10 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Great idea!
Posted 10 years ago