Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Remember Forgotten Gift Card Balances

libertyjohnson says:
While getting my office sorted through using the GTD system recently, I came across several gift cards that still had small balances on them, some of which I had forgotten about for years. I gathered them all together, called to check balances and decided to tuck them into my wallet so I would have them with me while running errands. But how would I remember the cards and the balances when I was close to the related store?

RTM!

I input each card into RTM using @gc as a tag, and added the remaining balance for the gift card/store to the task's name - Target Gift Card - $8.97 balance, for example. I left them without due dates, if there was no penalty assessed when not using the card for an indefinite period of time. And I added a specific or general location for the respective store, saving them to a personal or shopping list, depending.

Turning GPS and Location Alerts on, when I am going to running errands, RTM alerts me when I am in proximity to the location I have a gift card for. If I have a need anything - cross referenced on my shopping list, I can use up the remaining balance on the gift cards before dipping into my budgeted funds.

I love the creative ways we can utilize RTM to help make our lives a bit easier and a lot more productive.
Posted at 7:21pm on July 25, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi libertyjohnson,

Thanks for sharing this! :) You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 10 years ago
palaudocs says:
Good idea.
The only "but" is that you can have a Gift Card for a shop with more than one location. So it would be great if RTM would improve the Location feature with the possibility of identify several locations for each concept. pt.
Posted 10 years ago