Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keeping track of produce

niemansj says:
Moving to a big city has made fresh produce and meats much more available to me, but it's easy to forget about certain items and find them after they've gone bad. :(

To prevent this, I created a list called "Perishables".

Every time I get home from the store, I take a minute to create a task for each perishable item I bought.

The due date is set to the expiration date. Many fresh veggies don't come with a date, so I do a quick google search to determine the average shelf life and set it to one or two days before just to be safe.

I tag each item with its location in the fridge or the cabinet or the countertop, and I use the notes to include the link to any recipe I might be using it in. If there's ever a certain recipe I want to make quickly due to it involving things that will quickly go bad, I set it to high priority to bring it to the top of my list.

From here, I regularly check this list to make sure I'm choosing my meals while keeping expiration dates in mind. It's a very useful reference as the items are ordered by date which allows me to cook things in the right order and avoid forgetting about my produce!

<3 RTM!
Posted at 8:19am on March 6, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi niemansj,

I don't think Bob every leaves his bananas sitting around long enough to need this tip... but the rest of us certainly find this handy!

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 9 years ago
rosemarie.chiu says:
omg, this is so smart
Posted 9 years ago
linsybyster says:
This is a great idea! Smart way to reduce food waste.
Posted 9 years ago