Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

How to Share Multiple Tasks ('Smart Lists cannot be shared' workaround)

jamexcel says:
+++SYNOPSIS+++

The Problem: I want to share with 'Jane' multiple tasks (a group that I created in the same manner as a Smart List, ie with an advanced search operator) but for some reason it is not possible.

The Workaround: you need to filter out of this group all of the tasks that have already been shared with 'Jane' in order for the 'share' action to work.

+++DETAILS+++

In the past I've been frustrated by what seems to be this common bug/problem, and today I found a workaround!!! (this might be a workaround for the 'Smart Lists cannot be shared' issue.)

___
The Situation in which The Bug arises:

1) I have filtered my tasks by doing an 'advanced search' using some particular criteria (ie. tag:renovation)

2) Within this (Smart) list, there are a few tasks that have already been shared with 'Jane'. I want to share them all with 'Jane'.

3) I click on 'Select/All', then on 'More Actions.../Share With...' and then I share it with 'Jane' who is in my Contacts and with whom I am already successfully sharing many tasks.

4) Jane then informs me that she is unable to see ANY of the tasks that I have just tried to share with her.

___
The WorkAround: you need to filter out all of the tasks already shared with 'Jane' in order for the 'Share' action to work

1) I filter my tasks by doing an 'advanced search' using some particular criteria (ie. tag:renovation),
...BUT THIS TIME: I add to the search the search-operator "NOT sharedWith:Jane"

_The search thus looks like: " tag:renovation NOT sharedWith:Jane "

Now you may proceed to 'Select All' of the found tasks and then 'Share With' etc... and it will work!
Posted at 3:02pm on August 30, 2012
jamexcel says:
For a less convoluted explanation, check out my repost of this solution:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/16308/
Posted 11 years ago