Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Adding tasks from unexpected places

taylor.andrew says:
I generally listen to podcasts while commuting, and a particular favourite is the Pod Delusion. Often it will mention an interesting book, TV show, event, story or fact that I want to investigate later. My clunky and out-of-date iPhone isn't really up to running a podcatcher _and_ RTM's app, but I've found a clever alternative:

Loads of stuff -- podcasting apps, newspaper apps, iOS, browsers -- has a 'share with Twitter' button in it these days. If you're reading, watching or listening to something and are inspired to add a task, hit 'share with Twitter', and prefix your message with "d rtm" (and then a space). Rather than a public tweet, you're now sending a direct message to @rtm which, if you've linked your RTM and Twitter accounts, will add it as a task using Smart Add -- and as an added bonus it will include a link to the original item so you can look up details later.

If it all works, @rtm will immediately reply with a DM of its own, so if you have push notifications or SMS alerts set up then you can get confirmation without leaving the app either.
Posted at 9:01pm on August 25, 2012
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Clever! Adding a task and getting a confirmation without leaving the app is sweet!
Posted 11 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
Taylor - - great idea, thanks for sharing!
Posted 11 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Agree with rajjan and leah.shalom -- great tip! You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, so we've added a free year of Pro to your account. :)
Posted 11 years ago
jonlee317 says:
Wow that's actually a great idea! =) Now using some chrome extension such as silver bird or (chromed bird). You can easily clip any webpage that doesn't have a twitter button!

Scenario:

I can be viewing ANY webpage which I want to save ask a task to read later.

1. *click the silver bird button*
2. *click compose tweet*
3. type "d rtm +
4. *click the tiny globe at the bottom right* [this will saved the shortened URL]
5. *click tweet it!*

Outcome: You'll have your task name plus the URL.

I was hoping i can find some twitter extension (which i'm sure they have somewhere), where I can just highlight the text, right click, and then send to twitter using the same method you proposed.
Posted 11 years ago
jonlee317 says:
Oops for line:

3. type "d rtm + task_name + any Smart Add parameter"

e.g. d rtm Read this website later #personal #web @home
Posted 11 years ago
jonlee317 says:
I know i'm going on and on about this. But this method also seems to work linking an email that you are viewing in gmail also. So, if you are reading some email that you want to link to your task. You can use the above method too! =) I think this assumes you are already logged into gmail though. I didn't test that out. But i'm sure everyone already knows this and I'm just being silly. =)
Posted 11 years ago