Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Short-term Crisis Management

evanblackerby says:
Remember the Milk works great with short term crisis situations.

We recently had a 4 ft diameter oak tree hit our home during a severe storm. My wife, son, and I were missed by the tree. We were all safe, but shaken. Three rooms on the house were destroyed by the tree and rain. We have had to deal with a tree service, insurance company, banks, and various contractors. Countless people. This is a lot to remember and keep straight. As crazy as it has been to be displaced for a few months, Remember the Milk has helped me keep it all generally straight. There is a lot that goes into rebuilding one-third of my home.

The way it works for me:
• I immediately created a category called "The Tree" :-)
• Everything under that category has a person connected to it. "Paul" my contractor. Electrician. Tree guys. My own personal duties (Evan).
• I save each thought or question I have directed at a person. These come at random times.
• Then I create saved searches based on each of the people involved in the process. This does the magic in our situation.

In the demolition/construction/renovation business the workers/bosses show up at random times. It is difficult to collect my thoughts on all things that I need to discuss with each of them. "Where to put these lights" or "why does that look crooked" or "is this supposed to be more sturdy than this?"

With the searches, my contractor can just show up and I run the search for "Paul" and all the questions for Paul show up. Same with insurance and bank people.

This tool has been invaluable through these uncharted waters these past 3 months. Thank you guys for helping us through this crisis.

Evan
Posted at 2:51pm on December 6, 2011
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
Evan,

Sorry to hear about the damage to your house. Glad that you and your family were okay.

Thanks for sharing how you used RTM in this challenging situation.
Leah
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey Evan,

Sorry to hear about "The Tree". :( We really appreciate you sharing your story, and I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. (We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro.)
Posted 12 years ago