Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Groceries - Remembering the milk and everything else

honel says:
I keep a perpetual grocery list in RTM containing all the items I have regularly bought at the supermarket for the last two years. All items are prefixed into high-level categories according to where they appear in the store (fresh, bakery, dairy, household, toiletries, frozen, drinks, general etc).

When deciding what to buy each week I review the list. It helps me to remember to check what I need, especially those items only needed every month or two. It also provides ideas about foods and recipes that I may not have tried for a while.

The items I wish to buy are highlighted as priority 1 (to be picked up in a "Today's Groceries" smart list) and the remainder simply sit in the grocery list (priority 4). Once bought the items are returned to priority 4.

When I buy new items for the first time I add them to the list and it continues to grow, providing useful insight into my shopping habits and helping me to remember the milk and everything else I need.
Posted at 11:47am on January 24, 2010
martin_j_johansson says:
Sounds like we're on the same level when it comes to shopping. I also want to be reminded what recipes I used to do earlier. And I want my shopping list in order (based on store) so I don't have to go back and forth because I miss things.

Maybe you'd like to take a look at the program description I've linked to below. The program itself has English text in every corner but the data I've put in from the start is in Swedish. One could easily delete all recipes and groceries and start building new lists in English (I just had no idea what the prices are on different groceries in USA or GB).

http://www.shortcutdev.com/Home/projects/recistant

I have developed this application around my own needs, but if someone else finds it useful it would make me happier. If you find it interesting, let me know and you can have a link so you can install and try it out.

/Martin J
Posted 14 years ago
lemayp says:
I use the exact same approach. On the web, it is very fast and easy to change the priority of each single items in RTM. Meanwhile, I wish the Iphone/Ipod application would allow a quick way to change the priority of an item (I just try it, and I add to click 7 time to change a single item priority and return to my list!!).

Also, sometime I set an article with a priority of 2 and a due date. This is because I know I don`t need the article right away (I have just open the last box of spaghetti) and need to know right away in case the product would be in sale and the due date is to make sure to buy the item before that date.

Finally, I have separated the layout of the store in 7 sections and each items starts with a prefix representing that store area. This way, things are properly ordered in my list.
Posted 14 years ago