Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Kids (and spouse) chores

bonniefaust says:
I'm a busy wife and mom who works and attends school full time. Like most busy parents, I often have a hard time getting anyone to pitch in when I need help.

I started a running list of chores for each day and week, like 'empty dishwasher', 'start a load of laundry', 'water plants', and 'vacuum downstairs'. I tag them with both frequency (daily, every tuesday and every thursday, every saturday, etc.) as well as names of anyone capable of handling the task (including me and my husband).

Each day I receive a list of chores that need to be completed and I can text, email or leave a note from mom whatever I need done that day (haven't been able to win them over to RTM...yet ;) Its much easier than me checking homework and cooking dinner and trying to think of what I need done that day. I even have tasks like, "Get dinner started" so on the days I have classes until almost 7 pm, I can remind my husband that he needs to get dinner going if he plans to eat that day ;)

I even started putting in annual events in smaller tasks, such as holiday decorating: I put in "drag tree up from basement", "check lights", "order cards" and tagged it with either my name or my husband's name and gave it a due date anytime in late november through early december, asking it to repeat every year. So next year the tasks will pop up and I can start bugging my husband to bring the tree up, and order my holiday cards before Christmas Eve!
Posted at 3:34pm on January 19, 2010
2tx.yeha says:
Each of my two children (13 & 8) have their own RTM account. I have access to these accounts and have set up recurring tasks (e.g., my daughter has to straighten the pillows on the couch and put phones back in cradles each day). I save the weekly/bi-weekly/monthly chores for Saturday (e.g., empty the pencil sharpener, empty cat litter box).

Don't get me wrong - that doesn't mean these things get done. I have to remind/help them. However, it does end arguments about whose turn is it for X chore (see litter box), and admittedly after a childhood of not being expected to do anything around the house I want them to learn that certain things, typically little things, need to get done.

Either that or I've given them a perfect first chapter to their own version of "Daddy Dearest".
Posted 14 years ago
bonniefaust says:
i've been debating setting my husband and daughter up on RTM. they both use gmail now, so i finally got them organized with calendars and synching/sharing calendars with one another. i've been wanting to introduce RTM but my husbands head might explode ;) my daughter 'gets it' but i'm still a relatively new user and want to become more versed before i get her using it...it can be a little overwhelming and i'm hoping to guide her.

thanks for the tips!
Posted 14 years ago