Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Getting rid of repeating tasks in Gmail gadget

om says:
In order to remember about things I'm supposed to do daily (like exercise, learn Spanish or play the ukulele) I've created a bunch of tasks due today, repeating daily.

Since I usually monitor my tasks from withing Gmail, these tasks were shown not only today, but also tomorrow, the day after tomorrow... You get the idea. It made it quite difficult to see clearly what I've got planned for upcoming days.

I created a Smart List from the following search:
(isRepeating:false AND dueAfter:today) OR dueBefore:tomorrow OR due:never
and set it up as the list shown in Gmail gadget.

The only problem is it filters out ALL repeating tasks scheduled after today. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the DAILY tasks only?
Posted at 11:00am on January 19, 2010
om says:
Just thought of a simple (trivial actually) solution. I added a "daily" tag to all the tasks repeating daily. The Smart List search changed to:
NOT (tag:daily AND dueAfter:today)

Looks quite obvious now. Why haven't I thought of this before? :)
Posted 14 years ago
davidscottweaver says:
Just a thought here, but your daily repeated tasks should be "after 1 day" and not "every day". That should keep them from showing up tomorrow, etc. Or do you already have the repeat set up like that?
Posted 14 years ago
om says:
Actually I prefer the "every day" format here, because this way if I neglect any task from the "daily" list, it will pile up in the "overdue" section. E.g. right now I have three overdue tasks called "play the piano for 30 minutes" and I'll check them off only after I play for 90 minutes total.

This approach doesn't let me skip my commitments, because I know I will have to catch up later anyway.
Posted 14 years ago