Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Avoid impulse buying

om says:
It's not uncommon that we buy something we want at the moment, only to discover after some time that we don't actually need it.
With eBay and Amazon the time from realizing we really, really need (or simply want to have) something to actually buying it can be reduced to a minute (or even less). Unfortunately it doesn't give us enough time to think about it, which leads to impulse buying. Wikipedia says:

Impulse buying disrupts the normal decision making models in consumers' brains. The logical sequence of the consumers' actions is replaced with an irrational moment of self gratification. Impulse items appeal to the emotional side of consumers. Some items bought on impulse are not considered functional or necessary in the consumers' lives. Preventing impulse buying involves techniques such as setting budgets before shopping and taking time out before the purchase is made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_purchase

What I do is whenever I want to buy something (especially if it costs more than a few bucks) I create a new task for it, scheduled a week ahead. This gives me enough time to cool off and go through only with the truly needed purchases.

It might also prove a great way of not getting toys our kids REALLY WANT NOW but will loose interest in in a few days. Not having kids of my own I cannot verify it would actually work though -- after all, can you reason with a kid? :)
Posted at 11:53am on January 17, 2010