Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Tip : Sublists with notes

benmjt says:
Apologies if this has been noted by someone else previously, but I've just come across a nifty workaround to create the notorious sub-lists for the online and iPhone apps.

Having previously only used Appigo's 'Todo' app on my iPhone, I have always wanted some sub-lists functionality for the online RTM, given that numerous tasks often have more than one sub-tasks involved in their completion.

My initial work-around was to create a note for any task that had sub-tasks and list all of them inside. I then labeled the parent task with a '>' in the title to remind me that there is a further iteration i.e. a note with sub tasks.

Having been happily doing this for a number of weeks, I then replaced the 'Todo' app on my phone for the native RTM one* but found that viewing the note with sub-tasks was a tad awkward, with a large number of clicks required to get to the full list of items, and it being just a block of text.

*I was fully won over by the RTM online interface, and found I was using the Todo app less and less, allowing the native RTM app to ultimately take its place, given the more attractive interface, faster syncing and better integration.

After some playing around, I then stumbled across a much better solution. This involves making each sub-task in a separate note, rather than all in one. Not only does this allow you to easier edit/separate/order the tasks in the online RTM, but when you view these on the iPhone app they are viewed separately in a list, and can be deleted with a swipe i.e. They are in a pretty convincing sub-list!

I hope that makes sense, and I hope someone finds this useful,

Cheers,

Ben MJT
Posted at 11:08am on December 8, 2009