Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Easy way to add things to RTM quickly

ranbarton Power Poster says:
There are all sorts of clever ideas on these boards for rapid ways to add things to RTM. Many of them are clever, but many of them rely on installing various third-party gizmos. If you already use such a gizmo, more power to you. As I switch between various machines, I've been thinking about using stock OS features to build this, and the new smart add capabilities RTM added have allowed me to do so very easily.

1) Go to RTM and under the Settings:Info tab, find the email address for your Inbox Email Address.

2) Drag this to your desktop (Mac or Windows) and then place the resulting file someplace where it won't bother you.

3) Copy the help text from the smart add box that appears when you click the question mark.

4) Paste it into any text editor, and enlarge it until it's at least 200 pixels high.

5) Take a square screenshot of just the text.

6) Open the screenshot and copy the image of the text.

7) [This is on a Mac, I am sure you can fiddle something similar on Windows] Find the mailoc file created in step 2, get info for that file, paste in the image from step 6 as a custom icon.

8) Drag the mailoc file with the custom to your dock (on the right, since its not an app). It should look like this: . On Windows, I guess you use quicklaunch and forego the icon.

You now have a one-click link to your import address, and an on-screen cheat sheet for the syntax to add not just the task but nearly all of the meta-data, too.

For bonus points, if you can remember the syntax, you can add the email link as a button on your iPhone/iPod touch and have a much quicker task-entry method there than using the native RTM app.
Posted at 5:02am on November 27, 2009