Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

RTM for Google Quick Search Box

(closed account) says:
I mocked up a Plugin for Google's Quick Search Box for Remember the Milk. It's pretty rough (and slow), but it works. It is going to need some work to speed things up (it's open sourced, btw), but for right now, I suppose it will do.

DISCLAIMER:

This plugin is slow. After sending a task to RTM, QSB will hang for a while while it processes the code. This isn't great, I know, but it's how it has to work in order for me to get it running right now. Rest assured, if you put a task through GQSB, it will end up in RTM. The hang shouldn't effect any other programs or software. QSB will simply become unresponsive for a few seconds. Just hang with it please.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Go here:
http://github.com/gfontenot/RTM_QSB/downloads

Download the RTM_QSB.dmg. Inside, there is a .HGS file (the plugin), and a shortcut to your plugins folder. Drag the .hgs to the shortcut, and re-launch QSB.

It works on text objects, so if you write "Do Something Today" then hit tab (or right arrow) you should see "Send to RTM" as an available option. either type RTM, or arrow down to that option, and hit enter. Away you go.

You will have to authorize the plugin the first time it runs. There is a 15 second delay in the code to allow you to do this. After auth, you don't have to re-send the task. The plugin will continue to send the code up. If you miss the 15 second window, you will have to re-auth.

Hope you enjoy, and I will be making updates to add some features (growl notifcation) and hopefully get some speed enhancements in there as well.

Also, if any developers see my shoddy work, and would like to make it better, please. By all means.

http://www.github.com/gfontenot/RTM_QSB

- Gordon
Posted at 5:34pm on October 26, 2009
(closed account) says:
Oh, right, I almost forgot.

OTHER DISCLAIMERS THAT I ALMOST FORGOT BECAUSE I'M DUMB

Smart add *works*. Kinda. Parsing out the date works flawelessly. So "Do Something Today at 7:30am" will create a task "Do Something" with a due date of today at 7:30 am. Most of the other smart add features work as well.

HOWEVER

The tag / list smart add feature DOES NOT WORK. The "#" character is used as an ignore character in Python (the language the plugin is in), and therefore, the plugin decides that you want to ignore anything behind the hash mark.

This will (hopefully) be something that can be resolved very soon.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
FYI, I fixed the speed issue, and merged the script into a true Python plugin. Much faster.

KNOW ISSUES

- There is a beep after the task is sent. This is in the plugin code somewhere, and I can't find it. I'm on it though.

- Still can't use the "#" smart add feature. Not sure why. Working on that too.

All said, it's working much better now. Useable even!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
There was an issue with a typo keeping auth from working, but that is fixed now. Sorry for not doing enough bug testing on this thing. Should run fine now.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Sweet. Thanks for all your work on this. I'll dl and check it out today.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Just uploaded a new version that includes the ability to use all smart-add features, including tags and lists.

This will be that last update for a little bit. I need to stop obsessing about this and get some of my real job done.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Was about to reply to say it wasn't working when I try using tags & lists. It does with the new update. Thanks! This is a great little tool, and already proving v useful. Thanks for the hard work creating the plugin.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yeah, I released it too early. The new version (the one you have) is the one I should have waited for. But patience isn't one of my virtues.

Glad you're enjoying it.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Any plans to add ability to search for existing tasks and mark them as complete/postpone?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
No. The code is open sourced, so other developers could take my work and add these features if they want, but the idea behind the plugin (for me) is a quick add location. Not a full featured client.

Sorry.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
For no particular reason, other than as an excuse to play around with Classes, I have added the ability to quickly add a new list into RTM as well.

Same download link as above:

http://github.com/gfontenot/RTM_QSB/Downloads
Posted 14 years ago
chris.matheus says:
I downloaded the plugin with list support today, coped it to the plugin folder provided by the dmg, and restarted QSB. when I try it it does appear as an option (New task in RTM) after I enter space, the task and hit Tab but then QSB beeps at me and disappears without prompting for authorization and the task never appears in RTM.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yep. I guess I messed up the auth. If you want (for now), download the 1.0 version. It has all the same features, it just doesn't create the lists.

I will see if I can push out a fixed version with the lists addition tomorrow.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Nevermind. Just fixed it. It was a typo. Re-download and re-install, and you should be good to go.
Posted 14 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Couldn't get github.com/gfontenot/RTM_QSB/Downloads to work, it seems that the capital D in Downloads screws thing up.

Try github.com/gfontenot/RTM_QSB/downloads instead.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

If anyone has any feedback, let me know. This has been a fun project.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
In other news, I made a minor update to the plugin. I added an icon to the actions.

If there is anyone out there who has a better icon for this, please let me know. Or if the RTM Team would like to allow me to use their beautiful cow logo for this. Right now, I'm not very happy with the glass of milk.
Posted 14 years ago
rob.hranac says:
Awesome plugin. Great work.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
This is really wonderful, thank you!

One possible suggestion: reverse the order of the actions. Personally, I will never use "New List", and I'd imagine that many users won't either (or at least, much less than "New Task"). If "New List" can be eliminated altogether (to eliminate any accidentals), that's probably ideal for me.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
As far as I know, the order of the options is alphabetical. Everywhere in my code, the New Task option precedes the New List option. I was wondering how to re-order them myself, but I don't know if it's possible.

Theoretically, once the Plugin development takes off for QSB, there could be dozens of choices in that field. So you may want to get used to typing "task" to select the option as opposed to arrowing down to it. That will narrow your options down.

If any kind of preference pane system gets worked in, I will add the ability to turn on or off the New List action. I personally don't use it much myself, but see it as potentially being really useful.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
If anyone has access to Google Wave, and would like to discuss this plugin, I have created a public wave for it here:

https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252B8aigfbRUA

You MUST be a member of Wave to follow that link. Won't work otherwise.

This is also my first time trying to externally link to a wave. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Shoot. That's what I figured.

An extra keystroke (t) is all it takes, so I can handle that. :)
Posted 14 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
funkeye,

What is the title of the Wave? If you share the title, wave users can search for it as long as you have made it public. To make the wave public, add public@a.googlewave.com as a participant.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
It's public. The title is:
Remember the Milk plugin for Google Quick Search Box.

You can also find it with a search for:

with:public tag:rtm
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Funkeye,

Every time I want to add a task, I'm getting a prompt asking if I want to enable the plugin to access google qsb every time it loads up. Has this been happening with you?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Scratch that, it's not every time I want to add a task, it's every time I load up. After it loads the first time, it doesn't ask again.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
So, it's prompting you to grant access every time you start QSB? Or every time you boot the computer?

It hasn't been doing this for me.

It should only ask to grant access the very first time you invoke the plugin. After that, it has a token giving it access stored on your computer. Unless you are deleting this preference file, or revoking access from the website, you should not see the request again.

You WOULD have to do it once for each computer, if you are running it from different machines.

- Gordon
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
This has been updated to work with the newest version of QSB (which you should seriously get. It's a huge improvement.) You can download here: http://ow.ly/1rBsr

If you have any problems, this is the worst place to tell me about them. Get to me on Twitter: @gfontenot
Posted 14 years ago
tclaiborne says:
Just wanted to say thanks for this plugin. It's great!
Posted 14 years ago
anaderi says:
Funkeye,

Unfortunately I cannot get the plugin running with current version of QSB (2.0.0.3789). It seems that SDK/API has changed since last time the plugin was updated (March2010). Are there any plans to catch up?
Posted 13 years ago