Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

NOW Sometime and Maybe

waltzzz says:
I use RTM for GTD (David Allen's Getting things done system). In GTD everything goes onto lists! Out of your head & onto a list, so your head is free to do what it is best at, creating not storing. But with so much stuff on lists how can you see what to do?

I use the priority codes 1 red, 2 blue, 3 light blue and 4 or blank in this way:

1. Do
2. Do Sometime
3. Maybe
4 or blank: Info

Then in a smart list I see the Do items. A weekly review of the Sometimes (Search priority:2) ensures that those items don't get lost. I review the Maybes Monthly. The trick is to have enough Red items so I can cherry pick easily according to mood or available time, about one screen full is good.

One more little adaptation:

Anything with a date does not show up in the NOW list till the due date, regardless of priority.

The smart list search code is:

(priority:1 AND (due:today OR due:never)) OR (due:today OR
dueBefore:today)

Walter

Posted at 4:03pm on June 6, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
I'd never thought to use the priorities to separate tasks that way; really novel approach! I've been looking for a way to separate my someday tasks from my "you can do these now" tasks, and had been using a "someday" tag previously, but this may work better.

I do really like your smart list approach too; I also try to hide things that are actually due later so I don't see them until then.
Posted 14 years ago