Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Show a task in Today x days before Due Date

fbiljecki says:
Hello, I am new with RTM, I recently switched to it from Things (because of the high price, poor sync solution, limited iPhone app, etc.) and I must say that I am satisfied. Well done! However I miss something from Things, beside the desktop application:
it is the ability to automatically move a task to Today x days before its Due date.
Is this possible with RTM? I know that RTM offers the excellent Tomorrow possibility, but there are some tasks that for example I would like to have two or three days before their due date. I know that this is maybe against the GTD philosophy but that's just the way I work, and Things offers it. Thanks.
Posted at 8:37pm on February 20, 2009
dan.julian says:
I just switched from Things as well. Welcome to RTM! I'm also finding myself extremely satisfied, but extremely missing the "Scheduled" list. So, I'm responding to say, "Yes, I'd like this also. Do any RTMers know what to do?"

PS - @fbiljecki - any thoughts on the RTM app? I saw you went pro and I'm imagining so as to get the iPhone app. I'm liking it, but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Posted 15 years ago
fbiljecki says:
@dan.julian, I like the RTM app for iPhone. In my opinion, it is more advanced than the Things Touch app. The thing I really like is that it puts the overdue tasks in Today. That's not the case with the RTM web application, where overdue tasks almost vanish from all important views, while in Things they are emphasised. There is also the landscape mode, geotagging, over-the-air sync (one of the main reasons why I've switched to RTM), etc. I am really satisfied with the iPhone app. But I think that pro should have more features. It's not that I am saying that it is expensive, I would even pay for the basic version, but the gap between basic and pro is too small.
Regarding the scheduled list, maybe you could make a smart list that shows only scheduled items.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
some ideas:

@fbiljecki: as far as I know, there is no easy way to move a task to today (wel you could change the date to today... but you lose your other one)

The today... tomorrow thing is not how I recommend you use RTM. I recommend using smartlists (saved searches) which are automagically updated whenever you add tasks.

I use a very complicated search, but you can use it as a guideline:

(tag:@work OR tag:@city OR tag:@internet OR tag:@call) AND ((dueWithin:"25 days of today" AND priority:1) OR (dueWithin:"20 days of today" AND priority:2) OR (dueWithin:"12 days of today" AND priority:3) OR (dueWithin:"1 week of today") OR (dueBefore:today))

@dan.julian I use this for my "Deadlines" smartlist, so I can organize in advance:

Searched for: tag:@exam OR tag:@essay OR tag:@practic (it shows me what "long-term scheduled events" are useful to have in mind always.

Does that help?
Posted 15 years ago
dan.julian says:
That's a helpful post. Thank you--I'm new to smartlists and working on setting up helpful ones. I like the dueWithin:"14 days of today" style, and it's a very smart idea to just have myself reviewing the tag categories that likely require more advance planning.

Thanks again!
Posted 15 years ago
fbiljecki says:
The problem with such smart list is that it doesn't show the Overdue items. Is it possible to include them in a similar smart list?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
@dan.julian you are very welcome!

@fblijecki it does show overdue items which are tagged accordingly (look at the very last part, where it says dueBefore:today, that makes it work)

If you meant the "deadlines" list doesnt, no it does not in my case, but you can make it show them by adding (OR dueBefore:today)

Is that what you meant?
Posted 15 years ago
fbiljecki says:
It works, sorry I haven't understood immediately the last part of the code. It's much better now :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
glad you like it!
Posted 15 years ago