Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

A simple way of grouping tasks (such as projects, sub-tasks, etc.)

landon.springer says:
I was messing around with the api (which is incredible, by the way, particularly for a free application...) and I came up with a way of using RTM as a project management tool.

http://65.30.44.4/projects/

Simply grant the app access to your account (I don't even save the logins to a db... it's only stored in your browser as a cookie...).

Go to "View Items"--right now it should have a single list of tasks. (If you use any hyphen-prefixed tags, they should show up under "Type," as that's my custom GTD implementation...).

Click on an item, and "Move" it to group tasks. You can view sub-items by clicking the link directly under the "Move" box.

Let me know what you think. I won't leave this up for too long as it's using my personal bandwidth...

Landon
Posted at 3:31am on April 8, 2008
johnwin says:
The link is timing out at the moment - I'll try again later. Sounds very useful
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
Yeah... sorry about that--I shut it down in the wee hours of the night :P
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
(But it's back up--now that's it's morning :P)
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@landon.springer

Looking good! I'll have a play around and make any observations
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
Is there a way we can host this ourselves - I don't only want to be able to use it while your server is switched on ;^)
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
Lol, I hadn't thought about that yet :P

Actually, i was wondering if it would be a worthwhile endeavor to make a fully-functional app for everybody to use... i would put it up on a static server...

(Right now it's on my test dev. server because it is my only one with php5 on it--and that's required for simplexml...)

Anybody else give it a go? Any suggestions?
Posted 15 years ago
channa says:
Hi,
I just played with it a little -- I am a brand new user of RTM and a fledgling user of GTD principles...and I do have a boatload of different projects I manage and was looking into it as a project management tool, so this little add on is a nice way to "view" tasks. Not sure what other functionality it is adding though...(but I am new at this!)
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

You caught on nicely :P. It isn't supposed to add functionality--but merely a way of organizing/viewing tasks.

I can definitely do more to streamline organization, or do some hotkey stuff to tie it in with RTM better, but it's currently not intended to add functionality.

What sort of functionality would you want this to add? I'm open to suggestions, for sure.

Landon
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Link down again... Pitty, sounds interesting!
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
Lol, if you check it at 2:18am, it's going to be down.

Right now (until I get more interest), I'll have it up from 8am to midnight.

Thanks,
Landon
Posted 15 years ago
lwallach says:
It's 11:30 and its down...
Posted 15 years ago
skalover89 says:
landon.springer what timezone are you on? When is it usually up? I'm from Chicago, IL. I would love to see what you've done, as right now I am using both RTM and Todoist at the moment. I love RTM, but I love the sub-tasking of Todoist. Howver, it doesn't seem that Todoist is kept up much anymore and I can't even find a forum for it like this one or log into the mobile version (unless it doesn't like my blackberry curve). I would love to only use RTM but I really like the sub-tasks.

http://www.todoist.com (so you get an idea of what I'm looking for)
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
I'm CST.

Yes, I forgot to enable the server today, and I'm sorry about that. I'll get it going when I get home around 6pm.

I haven't been all too diligent in making sure the server's up, mainly due to the lack of interest (or the lack of communication of interest). Now that I know a few people like the idea, I'll make it more of a priority.

Keep in mind that I have some new functionality in mind--the workflow of this app is currently largely inefficient.

Thanks,
Landon
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
*UPDATE*

The address has changed to http://76.92.194.58/projects/

Sorry for the confusion.
Landon
Posted 15 years ago
landon.springer says:
Yup, this one officially bit the dust. It was fun while it lasted =/
Posted 15 years ago