Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Pocketmod - the way forward...

(closed account) says:
Just found PocketMod via a post at LifeHacker.
Yay! Works great with RTM.
I've had a 'view' I use for calendar events for ages so used that private RSS feed and added to my PocketMod config using the Custom RSS mod (Atom doesn't work - so change that URL baby!).

Head over to http://www.pocketmod.com and I'm sure you'll get the idea.

By the way, I put an unfinished Simple List on adjacent page to the feed to 'collect' (cheers Mr Allen) any new tasks that pop into my life and gridlines or storyboards on other pages.
Posted at 1:58pm on April 2, 2008
cainmark says:
I'm still amazed that a very old common idea that was used to make 8 page mini-comics has been co-opted and marketed and branded for productivity purposes so much that people have forgotten its origins and think pocketmod came up with the idea. But it does work well for many things besides mini-comics.
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@jfdavies

How do you modify the private rss feed from atom to rss?

I tried altering just the word atom to rss in the url but pocket mod does not import any of the data.

Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I had trouble with that too and it kind of just started working.
Remove the Custom RSS 1 by replacing with a blank.
Copy your feed URL into a local text editor, replace the atom with rss and copy from that.
Back in pocketmod, drag over a new Custom RSS and click the Setup button,
Paste the url in.
It didn't work for me straight away either so just keep fiddling! The interface is bit buggy it seems.

You probably get it already but it looks as though your pocketmod is stored as a cookie and next time you create one, you should find your last creation and your RSS will be updated before you print.

Good luck!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Reply to cainmark:

You're right on the comics but hey sometimes the oldest ideas are the best.

Maybe one day, someone will re-invent and re-package the paper-clip.

Coming soon to www.attachpapertogetherwithwire.com (site under construction) ;^)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Oops - sorry one more thing...

I peeved that you can have only one custom rss feed in one pockmod.

I'm a bit of a GTD amateur and want my next@home, next@work and next@shops smart list feeds all listed separately.

Oh well, never mind. Perhaps Mr P. Mod might be watching us.
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@jfdavies

Yes - i got it to work (once) via your method.

Do you know if pocketmod still provide the stand alone version that you can run and modify locally?

It seems to have gone from their website - with a 'coming soon' notice for the new version.

And yes - the one page with rss is a killer for me :^(
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm as nonplussed as your good self.

It's a real shame. A standalone version would be very handy and perhaps you could tweak it more.

I need to spend some time on the pockmod forum I guess, there's probably something in there, it seems like a thriving community.

Oh well, another task for my next@work smart list.

@johnwin Reply back if you find anything yourself.
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@jfd - will do do
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
I got all excited about this because I thought this was a way to get 8 pages of nothing but RTM tasks and notes in a convenient pocket mod paper format. Oh well. ::sigh::
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@aaronhh

yes - I was disappointed also. Wait for the new version of the standalone app - it is far more flexible.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
So they're still developing it then?
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@jfdavies The website says 'coming soon' but I don't know how long it's said that or how soon is soon!

They have always seemed to be on a v_e_r_y s_l_o_w development cycle.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
a very slow development cycle?

The RTM development cycle must be contagious.

hehe

just kidding, Emily, I'm just teasing. ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
tutunkommon says:
check out repocketmod.com as it does allow standalone use. Also, and in my opinion more importantly, it remembers the layout between sessions, so when I re-open it, it is just like the one I printed yesterday!

I have one RSS feed coming to it already, but I am going to see if I can make it take multiple feeds from RTM so I can have 1 page for each context. ie: I'm at work? page 2. I'm at home? page 4. Out running errands? page 6. pages 3, 5, and 7 are blank lines for taking notes, new tasks, or whatever. Back cover is my calendar.

The only drawback is that you can not fill in data in the app. In other words the part for your name and everything has to be written with a pen, as it won't fill in from the app.
Posted 15 years ago
tutunkommon says:
Hmm. No joy. Making three copies of rtm.swf and creating 3 entries in the mods.xml file doesn't do it. Apparently there is something in the swf files that make them all point back to whatever is fetched by rtm.swf since rtm2.swf and rtm3.swf both bring up the same list in rePocketMod when I try to add them.

Does anyone have the tools to open up these swf files and look inside? Possibly modify them so that we can have 3 different lists being pulled from RTM?

I would be thrilled if someone could look into this for me!

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I like this idea and am stumped at the same point as the above poster - any suggestions from Flash wizards out there?
Posted 15 years ago
marlowe says:
I have looked at the Flash files but can't figure out how to do it either. This should be simple enough--does anyone know how to contact the developer to ask how to do this? I'm happy to do it if I could get a quick explanation of how to access the code that pulls from RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
rossgoodman says:
I did the same as tutunkommon.
I got a reply back from someone at repocketmod that confirmed that you could not have multiple versions of the same content due to a fixed reference inside the modeule.
He also confirmed that the RTM module was not developed inhouse so he could not modify the code.

Ross
Posted 15 years ago
marlowe says:
I believe the RTM.SWF module was developed by Brian at Fairly Useless (not Sergei at re:PocketMod, who I've tried contacting to no avail). The Fairly Useless site looks like it has not been maintained for some time; it doesn't show any contact info either. Has anyone tried contacting Chad Adams at the original pocketmod.com site to see if he has any ideas about this?

I suspect that if we want to create a new RTM.SWF, we will need to find someone who knows what to modify in a decompiled (FLA) version of the rtm.swf, and who can then write a new file that does some of the same things.

Or we need to beg RTM to create a PocketMod module, maybe as a premium product. I would immediately upgrade to Pro or make a special donation just for this feature!

I looked at the decompiled FLA file (not just the RTM.SWF). However, I couldn't make heads or tails out of how the file is handling the Atom feeds, formatting the text, or passing code to the main re:PocketMod Flash file.
Posted 14 years ago