Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

RMilk v. Iwantsandy

derek.schauland says:
I am sure I am opening a can of worms with this one, but I have been tinkering with Sandy lately and was curious about effectively using remember the milk and iwantsandy together or to find out just which one does what better and the like.

I am quite partial to rememberthemilk, but someone had to get this out there...
Posted at 10:56pm on December 6, 2007
bzpilman says:
I toyed around with Sandy (the webapp), while in Beta, but found it a little too dull and oversimplified to be effective. I'm just not sympathetic with the idea of managing everything through mail, I guess.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Just wanted to mention that this might be better suited to a place like the 43 Folders forum (where there are forums on comparing tools and web apps). Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Emily - a post in my Google Reader queue, that is no longer here, suggests to me that you, or Bob, removed a post with detailed comments about using Iwantsandy, including some comments that indicated some ways IWS might be optimal to RTM. Obviously, I think you're right that the 43f site is a better place for that, but I do not see why that post needed to be removed from here. I like to think of myself as one of your biggest cheerleaders, and yet it should not be heresy for any of us to mention that other tools might occasionally be better than RTM. Discussion like that among your users surely will help us all, as a community, to clarify our desires for task management tools, and I do not think such comments merit deletion here.

That said, this is your site, and I know I am a guest here, so I will defer to your decisions - I just wanted to offer my perspective on the matter.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Ran, we have absolutely no problem with people posting about using RTM with other products (although we would prefer if people took comparison discussions to a place that was more suitable, as this is off-topic for the Tips & Tricks forum).

We do, however, monitor the forum for advertising and spam posts (this forum unfortunately does attract spammers on occasion, usually for completely unrelated websites).

To try and determine if a post is legitimate, we check when the user signed up for RTM, when they posted on the forum, and if they have posted anything else on the forum (advertisers usually sign up then head straight over to the forums). In this case, we questioned why someone would sign up shortly before coming to the forum, and heavily promote another service in their only forum post.

It was a tough call on this one (it's the first time this issue has come up with a post for a 'competing' service). While I doubt that the person who posted was associated with the service in question in any way, what it came down to was that their message amounted to trolling and was completely inappropriate for this forum. We made the decision to remove it and direct users to the 43 Folders forum if they would like to compare services, as that is a far more appropriate place for this.

Hope this clears things up.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Thank you for your sensible reply, Emily. I did not recognize the username in question, but it hadn't occurred to me they would join just to talk up their pet project. I think it says good things about RTM's competitive position if your peers find it tempting to use your forums to talk up their services.
Posted 16 years ago
derek.schauland says:
Being the individual that posted the item above about RTM and IWS I must assure you that I am not in any way involved with IWS.

I was purely curious... IWS seems more like a vehicle to a service (like Jott).

I also agree that it should have been posted elsewhere...
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
My friend, Brett Kelly, just did a comparison of the two services. It is located here:

http://blog.crankingwidgets.com/2008/02/21/sandy-and-rememberthemilk/

Enjoy!
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
@michaelramm

You beat me to it! This is a well thought out appraisal - though it has been superseded a little by recent improvements to rtm.
Posted 16 years ago
xgravity23 says:
@johnwin

...which is one of of the huge benefits of competitive comparisons, IMHO. :)
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
@xgravity
Absolutely - competition builds better apps and with transition costs between them at almost zero the developers are compelled to provide a superior product.

Results - Lots of happy customers!
Posted 16 years ago
prem18 says:
I am a big RTM user and only want SMS notifications in certain cases. ( to save money, among other things) I was not sure how to do that using RTM ( notify only if...)
So, I use Iwantsandy sparingly for just these tasks.... I am looking for a write-up of folks who have integrated the strengths of both these awesome apps to get their stuff done.
Posted 15 years ago
nigel.godfrey says:
And now there IS no choice !
Posted 15 years ago
vinodlive says:
They have shut down.
http://getsatisfaction.com/iwantsandy/topics/a_fork_in_the_road_an_important_announcement_about_i_want_sandy
Posted 15 years ago