Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

RTM to help with Executive Function & Autism/Asperger

gm1 says:
On discovering the updated RTM Smart Watch apps, which amazingly, are “independent app” - so notifications still works if the iPhone/Android battery goes flat - RTM is now a very important tool with which to manage my disability.

I have a favourited project called “Transitions” and in there a weekly repeating Task for every day of the week. A series of subtasks breaks the day down into the various stages of my day, with a timed device reminder for each step. Wake up, morning exercises, breakfast, walk the dog, work task 1,2, lunch, work task 3, 4, supper, and my evening routines. A notification sound , and vibration on my wrist prompts me to move to the next task/routine.

One of my last tasks each evening is quickly check my routine for the next day, and make sure all reminders for that day are set correctly and and any appointments or scheduled calls also are set.

This technique stops me getting distracted and helps me focus on the next task at hand. I also always use plenty of emoji in the task/ routine name so when it pops up on my Smart Watch it is a quick visual cue as well.

To cope with anxiety when out and about, I make full use of the Evernote integration. I have scans of bus passes, bus time tables, maps, important phone numbers, anything that I can use to help prompt or I might need. I use key words in Evernote note titles - such as “Appointment” or “Meeting” or “Travel” then saved searches in RTM for example source:evernote AND name:appointment though sometimes I also put pertinent points in the notes, which can then be viewed on the Smart Watch task details.

I have also shared a project with my social worker, so they can remind me to do things or if I need them to help me with something they can see - also helps keep all information in one place.

Finally, one thing I find very difficult is decision making, find it overwhelming. So for example I keep list of books I want to read on my kindle, films to watch on Netflix , recipies I want to try and another saved search called “DownTime” list:books OR list:films OR list:recipies AND priority:1 - from my Apple Watch, I can scroll a select choice and make an easy decision.

World Autism Awareness Month is not far away, hope this inspires some other Autists or Aspies out there to use RTM to help with their organisation, anxieties and routines.

Posted at 2:14am on January 15, 2021
dgmckenna says:
Good for you! This sounds amazing and I hope this is really helping manage things for you.
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
Excellent! I have similar routines in my RTM and, I agree, they definitely help.
Excellent post.
Thanks!
Posted 2 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi gm1, thanks so much for sharing this! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've shared your post on our blog. We've also upgraded your account with a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 17 days ago