Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Looking for a peace of mind? Track everything in one location

riazullah says:
For years I had struggled to maintain my to-do lists in multiple locations and multiple formats such as post-its, notepad programs, multiple email accounts, calendars and smart phone notes app. Ever since I started using Remember The Milk, I am still using most of those same media, but I am now using them all to direct entries into RTM. This approach has increased my efficiency tremendously.

Here is my to-do list capture approach using multiple media. 

EMAILS: Instead of flagging emails in the email applications, I forward them to my RTM email address. RTM's list creation feature via email is an amazing feature you should explore if you aren't using.

CALENDARS: Instead of creating calendar entries in the calendar application, I now add RTM tasks with a due dates. I have integrated my RTM calendar with Google calendar hence when I look at my Google calendar (which is my primary calendar application) RTM tasks with due dates show up right there.

In the past, when I used the calendar application to capture tasks, I had 2 issues: #1-when I don't complete a task I MUST remember to move the task forward in the calendar otherwise I lose sight of it. #2: Calendar applications do not have a dashboard like RTM has. Hence it is hard to see the tasks that are coming up in near future.

SMART PHONE: I use voice commands to add tasks on the fly to the RTM app. Sometimes I also open up the RTM app to enter tasks.

GOOGLE HOME: I have google home devices setup in bedrooms and bathrooms. Strangely, these are often the two places I think about my tasks. so, I just ask google home to add a task in RTM.

Between smart phone and Google Home, it’s so convenient like having a personal assistant with me who tracks my to do items.

PAPER NOTEPADS: occasionally, I use a paper notepad at meetings. I have allocated last three pages for noting down my tasks. End of the day, I make sure to transfer these tasks to my RTM app.

I certainly haven’t mastered finishing up all my tasks on time yet. However I feel like I have mastered the art of gathering my tasks in one place which to me gives a great peace of mind. Thanks to RTM for developing so many ways to capture the tasks.

Posted at 9:50pm on August 26, 2020
(closed account) says:
Thank you for sharing this, @Riazullah. I have had similar struggles over the years and like have stuff centrally located.

I've been using the RTM Gmail add-in, which is amazing. My work email is Outlook and I've tried the two-way sync but I'm still getting a lot of weird duplications of tasks so I just shut it off for now and email into RTM
Posted 3 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi riazullah, great post! You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've shared your post on the Remember The Milk blog. You're also the winner of 1 year of Pro :) Thanks for sharing!
Posted 10 weeks ago
eoe says:
I do all of things... except the GCal and Google Home integration, which I didn't know had an integration.

It took a bit of poking around, but I found out how to sync my due tasks into GCal here: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/feeds/faq/ Be sure to use your iCal feed and not your RSS feed, which I mistakenly imported first.

I've discovered several methods for integrating Google Home online, but I'm curious to know your preferred approach.

Last thing I'll say is that for paper capture, I love using (here's a bit of a throwback) the Hipster "PDA": https://www.43folders.com/2004/09/03/introducing-the-hipster-pda. It's exceptionally cheap and you can easily throw away the cards as they fill up.

Always nice to find some convergent evolution, right? :)

Posted 10 weeks ago
lemayp says:
The Google Home integration has been sunset in 2023. I used to use it frequently before.

The following link is actually the reference to the situation I received from RTM support when I contacted them about such a subject: https://developers.google.com/assistant/ca-sunset?hl=en
Posted 10 weeks ago