Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Staying on top of Bills vs Statements

alan.porter says:
I use RTM for lots of things: personal items, yearly goals, lists of books to read and movies to watch. But my biggest motivation for using RTM is for staying on top of bills. It easily handles the various schedules on which recurring bills come due.

So I have a list called "bills", which my wife and I share. It contains monthly bills like credit cards, annual bills like property tax and insurance, and also some reminders to do some financial hygiene like balancing checkbooks and downloading statements.

To separate the different kind of financial tasks, I created three tags (with different colors): pay.manual, pay.auto and pay.none.

* Pay.manual is for bills that we have to pay ourselves (not auto-drafted). It requires manual action from us to initiate it.

* Pay.auto is for bills that are auto-drafted from our bank, so we don't actually need to DO anything, except maybe check on it later.

* Pay.none is for tasks like balancing the checkbook or downloading statements, which need to be done from time to time, but that can slide a few days without penalty.

With these tags, my wife and I can tell at a glance whether the time-critical stuff needs immediate attention. And when we get a rainy Sunday, we can take care of all of those other cleanup items.
Posted at 2:34am on January 14, 2020