Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

NOT using Remember the Milk for everything!

nodonovan says:
I use RTM to remind me of every little thing. For those things that *have* to be done on a certain day, using RTM may not be the best way.

For instance, I used to have a fortnightly reminder for me to put out the Recycling bin for collection and another (on another day) for the Garden Waste bin. This works fine, but has two disadvantages. 1) The Task list can become cluttered with recurring tasks that become too familiar and paradoxically, tasks can be missed. 2) Searches can be tricky. For instance, I knew I had recorded some information about a Garden magazine subscription in Remember the Milk, but couldn't find it. I thought that the information might have been 'Completed', but searching for the word 'Garden' in the Completed tasks section, just came up with page after page after page of Garden waste bin tasks so that I couldn't see the wood for the trees. (And yes, I *did* run searches for 'magazine', 'subscription' etc!)

Repeated Tasks that a) have no other subtasks or notes and b) have to be done on a *specific* day, are much better put as an entry in my electronic diary rather than Remember the Milk.

So, interestingly, my Tip is NOT to use Remember the Milk for EVERYTHING!
Posted at 12:24am on January 5, 2020
countdiso says:
haha, good tip.

Funnily enough, I have my put the bin out reminders in Google Calendar rather than RTM!

However, I do also have some mundane repeating tasks in RTM that perhaps do get ignored because they are there every day and I end up just marking them as done when they are not (mainly the ones about doing some exercise). So I agree, not everything belongs in RTM.
Posted 4 years ago
sandeepksaini says:
Cool Tip!
Posted 4 years ago