Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

General Storage

hwebbjr says:
Before I retired, I dealt with hundreds of files containing confidential information. To facilitate being able to locate what I needed quickly, I created a spreadsheet wherein I indexed all my files, locations, and content notes. A quick search could find the location of any document within seconds and I could retrieve any file within minutes.

Upon my retirement I found a similar system using RTM could assist me in organizing my closets and garage that are filled with storage tubs. Within seconds I can find the location of any stored item within seconds. Here's my simple method:

1. Create a list titled "Storage"
2. Each task in the list is a storage location (e.g., Tub 1, Blue Tub, Box 5).
3. Items within the storage locations are listed as subtasks within each main task.

Now, a quick search (e.g., name:sweater) will find the location of all sweaters in storage.

Tags added to each item can be used to help create broader searches. So, if all Christmas items are tagged with the tag, "xmas-decorations", the search, "tag:xmas-decorations" will return the location of all items with that tag. No more fumbling around looking for items that may be in 10 different tubs!
Posted at 7:29pm on July 27, 2019
hwebbjr says:
Sorry for the double entry! I got a message that said my post couldn't be processed the first time...
Posted 4 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Excellent idea!
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
Love it! Thanks for the idea. I'll be implementing this.
Posted 4 years ago
lirazhaim1 says:
Thank!!!
Posted 4 years ago
lirazhaim1 says:
Thank!!!
Posted 4 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi hwebbjr,

Excellent tip, and one I need to use. :) You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 4 years ago