Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

General Storage

hwebbjr says:
Before my retirement, my office files were filled with confidential items. I created a spreadsheet wherein I indexed my files. With the search feature, I was able to determine the location of any of my 739 files within 30 seconds and was able to retrieve it within minutes.

After I retired and I began to organize my garage, I found that Remember The Milk was able to handle the same task of indexing all my possessions and it's powerful search feature can help me locate anything inside my numerous storage crates within seconds. Even better, it was available on my phone so my index was at hand whenever I needed it.

My simple set-up:
1. Create a list titled "Storage".
2. Each "task" in the list is the storage tub (e.g., Tub 01, Gray Tub).
3. Within each task (i.e. storage location), I list each item in the tub as a subtask.
4. As an option, I use tags to indicate if an item is clothing, electronics, tools, etc.

Using this method I'm able to search for a specific item with RTM returning the location immediately (e.g., name:"christmas lights"). I can also search the tag (e.g., tag:xmas-decorations) to do a broader search and RTM will return a list of all stored items with that tag with their locations. No more frustrations!
Posted at 6:59pm on July 27, 2019
hwebbjr says:
Sorry for the double entry! I got a message that said my post couldn't be processed the first time...
Posted 4 years ago