Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Bullet Journal Tips: Paper and Pen Syncing

projectedwin says:
I’ve been using RTM for a long time: far longer than I care to admit. I have even left RTM at times when I was trying to switch things up. I used a gamified task manager for a while and that was fun casting spells on tasks, and leveling up, and even dying. But that got old the minute I tried to keep productive.

I found the Bullet Journal method by accident last year and started to find that it was super effective for me. Primarily because I actually responded to having to write tasks over and over and over again if I didn’t complete a task! It kept things in a laser focus.

However, I later came to find that I still really do love using a digital solution for tasks too. So I came back to RTM hard, but this time, with a plan… on pen and paper.

Bullet Journaling is much more than just a task manager and RTM can be used much more than just a Task Management System. So I’ll be sharing my adventures of how I use these two systems to battle the forces of task management like Batman and Robin (you decided which one is which).

For now, I’ll say that my Weekly Bujo spread (2 Journal pages) has two main areas: a daily log (for events/appointments/tasks) and a open tasks section. For the daily section, I take my RTM tasks (due:tomorrow) and place them the evening before in my Bujo. For the open tasks section, these would be used as something I want to do this week but I’m not sure when exactly. I migrate any tasks that I didn’t complete (rewriting them for maximum guilt effectiveness) and yes, I have to check off two boxes, one on RTM and another in my BuJo. But look at this way - checking that complete box feels twice as good. :)
Posted at 12:52am on September 7, 2018
patch_uk says:
I’m new to RTM, but have got here via Bullet Journaling.

I’ve tried pen n’ paper only, digital only, and a hybrid of both to stay on top of my tasks.

Right now, I’m using a combination of Smart Lists in RTM, tags in RTM, and recurring tasks.

I have Lists set up in RTM that act like Bullet Journal “collections” and use tags extensively to keep things in order.

Smart Lists are AWESOME.
Posted 5 years ago
patch_uk says:
Also - I’m currently exploring using a printed version of my RTM Daily (Today) as a task List to work through.

I’m a little wary of having a paper list and lists in RTM - but I’m hopeful that I can stay on top of it.

Bullets are great. I use bullets from my iPhone emoji set in RTM (✖️ ✔️ 🔲 ⬛️ ).
Posted 5 years ago
patch_uk says:
Also - I’m currently exploring using a printed version of my RTM Daily (Today) as a task List to work through.

I’m a little wary of having a paper list and lists in RTM - but I’m hopeful that I can stay on top of it.

Bullets are great. I use bullets from my iPhone emoji set in RTM (✖️ ✔️ 🔲 ⬛️ ).
Posted 5 years ago
jordy1971 says:
I, too, have been using RTM for a long, long time, sticking with it even though blogs like Lifehacker fail to give it much love when talking about best task management apps. (I've tried them all, LH, and RTM is the best.)

Anyhoo, I got into BuJo in September, and I'm currently using a workflow that leverages both systems. For example, I use RTM for my master list of tasks and projects. If a task/project has a time horizon beyond a few days, it goes in RTM. Recurring tasks (RTM's major advantage, IMO) especially go in RTM.

My bullet journal is my day-to-day dashboard of what I need to focus on. I use it as a tool for planning the next 7-10 days, a meta-system for aligning my activity with my goals, and a record of my life as I live it. I gather information from RTM, my calendars (work and personal,) my bug tracker at work, my fitness apps, the weather, and more into my journal, effectively making it my life's dashboard.

So, for me, RTM and BuJo are complimentary.
Posted 5 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi macness,

This is really interesting way to combine systems! Thanks for sharing your set up. :)

You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 5 years ago
ready2thrive2 says:
Love the idea but don't get the how. More details please about how to start using bullet journaling on RTM. Thanks.
Posted 4 years ago