Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

GTD-style projects with (pro) subtasks

skominers says:
For each of my projects, I generate a master task with subtasks for each associated action. I also use the "notes" and "attachment" fields to store auxiliary information.

Then, I use tags on the subtasks to organize the project actions by location, person, and/or mental mode. A "next action" tag #next indicates which actions are at the top of the stack.

For example, project "Sort out New York travel" might have subtasks:
+ Choose New York travel dates #scheduling #tablet #next
+ Look up restaurants in New York #computer #tablet #next
+ Book New York hotel #computer
+ Book New York flights #computer
+ Send dates to New York friends #computer #email

Then, I syndicate out the subtasks into GTD-style "next actions" lists.

Smart list "At Computer" = tag:computer AND tag:next , for example, will show me "Look up restaurants in New York" and any other next actions I can complete at my computer.

By using multiple tags, individual actions can show up on multiple lists. (As configured, "Look up restaurants in New York" would show up in "At Computer" and "On Tablet".)

This way, I have everything for each project in one place. But for minute-by-minute optimization/ninjitsu, I can just work off the "next actions" lists.

Higher level strats: You can build in "tickler file" functionality in both the "Projects" and next action lists by using start dates on future tasks, and adding "AND (startBefore:Tomorrow OR start:never)" to the smart list queries.

QED.
Posted at 12:29pm on July 14, 2018
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi skominers,

Love your use of the "next" tag combined with subtasks! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. :) We've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 5 years ago