Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Master your tags with descriptions!

olliebaum says:
So you've been reading the Tips & Tricks forum and found lots of brilliant ideas for how to use tags in Remember the Milk and you start tagging away to your heart's content.

But a few months pass by and you can't remember exactly what or means. And then you find yourself wasting time trying to remember or (in my case) batch removing tags. Well no more!

I solve this problem using a 'description' tag. For all current tags in use and any new tag I add, I create a new task with the new tag and #description. In the task name I write a description of how to use that tag for future reference.

Then when the moment comes and you're wondering "What on Earth does #hypno.toad mean?", then you simply need to search 'tag:hypno.toad AND tag:description' and hey presto you'll see a task with a description of the #hypno.toad tag and precisely how to use it.

Or simpler yet, make your 'tag description' priority 1 and then it will show right up the top of the results when you click on the tag.

I also make tag:description into a smart list and use a custom list sorting whichs groups it by tags. This gives me a nice clear title above each tag description to make it super easy to scroll through and find the necessary tag.

It's a great way to keep using tags you'd forgotten about. Or even for fine-tuning your use of tags you use all the time. I'll use my tag description to explicitly outline when to use a tag and when to use an alternative tag.

I also added a description for the description tag itself. This is simply a task with only #description as a tag. Mine looks like this:

"For any new tag, add a priority 1 task as a description so you remember how to use the tag, and tag with 'description' #description"

That way if you forget what #description does, you're still covered! 😅

Happy describing!
- Ollie.

Posted at 6:43pm on September 11, 2017
robfreundlich says:
+1 for making me laugh with #hypno.toad

Also, even though I don't use tags very much in RTM, I use them extensively in Evernote, and I'm going to adapt your idea for use there. Thanks very much for the idea!
Posted 6 months ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
This is _definitely_ tip of the week material. Thank you.
Posted 5 months ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Agreed that this is tip of the week material... :D

olliebaum, you're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 4 months ago
olliebaum says:
Woohoo! Thank you. Glad my idea is helpful to you guys. And thanks for the free year of Pro! Much appreciated. ^^

Posted 4 months ago
ebgreen says:
I also don't use tags a lot in RTM but found this to be a phenomenal idea for Evernote.
Posted 4 months ago