Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Few awesome ways to use tags

karlicoss says:
1. For most of my friends I have an RTM tag. If I want to discuss something in person with them, watch a movie, or whatever, I just create a task with the tag #friendname and date ^never (so the task is not cluttering my inbox). Next time I see the friend, I will just go through the tag and ask and arrange everything I wanted.
I also have terrible memory and tend to forget facts about people which might be useful to remember (job/age/education, etc.) Logging this kind of information in RTM with the tag corresponding to the person helps me to avoid apologizing later for bad memory and asking same things twice.

2. Some tags are very common, for me it is 'buy', 'read', 'health'. They occupy screen space, being kinda distracting. I shorten them to 'b', 'r', 'h', that looks ways cleaner.

3. Say, you went on a ski trip, and you had a tag for it 'ski-march-17'. Once you're finished with the trip, the tag is not relevant to you anymore, but still shows up on 'Tags' list and distracts you from relevant tags. You could delete the tag, but what if you want to review the completed tasks under this tag when you go skiing next year? If you have this issue, just rename the tag to something like 'zzz-ski-march-17'. That way, irrelevant tags will always be at the bottom due to alphabetical order!
You can do same to bump tags up: rename 'some-tag' to '_some-tag', that way it will always be on top of your tags list. Thanks to favorites though, it's not that useful anymore.
Posted at 3:37pm on May 9, 2017
robfreundlich says:
I really like the #friendname idea. Thanks!
Posted 6 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi karlicoss,

Great tips! You're a Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
We have people over for a meal often and I've been trying to figure out where to keep track of what my friends don't eat. What with allergies, vegans, paleos, etc, I may try this approach!
Posted 6 years ago