Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Trello (-ish)

cek1227 says:
I like the idea of Trello's flow, but I don't like the implementation by that or any of its imitators. So, I put together an RTM facsimile that emulates the progression of tasks from category to category like Trellow (even though the layout is a little different).

Tasks: identifiable units of work; real tasks or small projects that have a priority, optional due date, and optional subtasks.

Lists: My major categories of tasks and projects based on the block of time on my calendar that I will look at them (Home, Desk, Projects, Non-profit, etc.). Don't have too many lists.

Tags: (where the Trello-ish-ness comes in), I have 6 main tags which are like Trello columns:

0inprog - non-recurring tasks/projects that I'm actively working on (with or without due dates); keep these few

1open - tasks/projects I need to work on soon, but have not yet started (with or without due dates)

2recurring - recurring tasks (with due dates, recurring); this keeps recurring tasks out of view until they are due

3long - tasks/projects I need to do someday (no due dates)

4delegated - assigned to someone else (and another Tag for who it is delegated to)

5deferred - tasks/projects I need to do in the future (with due dates only!) [this could be combined with 3long, but I don't like it]

Here's the key: My lists are sorted by Priority and Due Date, but grouped by Tag. That's the Trello-ish-ness. It puts my active tasks up top, and the items I need to review sorted after that, kind of like Trello columns.

To do your weekly or daily Review, display the List for the category of work (e.g., Desk). Review the items going down the list, adjusting the Tags as necessary (e.g. moving a 1open item to a 0inprog item).

But to actually do focused work, I need a few more smartlists:

The key list I actually work from is called "NA" for "next action", which is: anything in progress (without a due date) or due before tomorrow or in the Inbox or anything tagged with "na":
((tag:0inprog AND due:never) OR dueBefore:Tomorrow OR list:Inbox) OR tag:na

Then I have list-specific versions for NA, so I can focus on that list for that block of time. For example, NAHome:
(list:NA AND list:Home)

That's all that's really needed. Weekly and daily reviews, and then an NAxyz list when I start working on block of time xyz.

When I knock those off sufficiently and I still have time in my block schedule for that category, I have a secondary way to focus on items without doing another Review.

This list is called Upcoming: shows tasks that need my attention soon, i.e. non-delegated items that are P1 or P2 (due by today or no due date at all) or P3 (due by today)

((NOT tag:4delegated) AND ((priority:1) OR (priority:2 AND (due:tomorrow OR dueBefore:tomorrow OR due:never)) OR (priority:3 AND dueBefore:tomorrow))) OR list:Inbox

Then I have list-specific versions of Upcoming, such as UpHome:
(list:Home AND list:Upcoming)

Upcoming can also be used for Daily Review.
Posted at 8:22pm on November 3, 2016