Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Vacation Prep Smart Lists

stonecritter says:
I'm retired and have the opportunity to travel frequently. My trips generally fall into three categories - motorcycle, skiing, vacation.

I create one list that includes every item I need to check for each trip and tag each for the type of trip. Each item may have one or more tags. For instance "Check oil" only needs the tag "bike." "Sleeping bag" is tagged as "bike" and "vacation." I include everything like laundry, passport, haircut, camera, charging cables, really everything. When I find I have forgotten something, I add it to the list and tag as needed.

When a trip is coming up within a week, I set all the list items as due on Thursday. I have a smartlist for each type of trip.

For a bike trip, I call up the "Bike trip" smart list using:

list:"Trip stuff" and tag:bike and dueBefore:Friday

If I could edit the definition easily, I could set it to specific date in the future, but this method has worked for me and requires no editing.

When done, I set all the list items to no due date until needed again.
Posted at 11:54am on May 3, 2016
stonecritter says:
Failed to mention that I have to set the completed items from last trip to incomplete to start running Smart List over and then change due date.

Just found how to edit the Smart List in new app. I'm trying it out by setting all items to trip start date of May 12 and modifying rule as in
list:"Trip stuff" AND tag:bike AND due:"May 12, 2016"
Posted 7 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi stonecritter,

As a monkey who loves to travel, Bob finds this tip particularly handy. Thanks for sharing!

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 7 years ago