Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Always-visible notes to self

robfreundlich says:
I have some things I need to remind myself all the time - kind of a cross between affirmations and mental notes or "notes to self". Since I'm in the habit of checking my RTM lists frequently throughout the day, I decided to use RTM to help me by doing the following:

1. Set up a location called "brain"

2. Create a task for each of these reminders with the following attributes:
Due date: today
Repeat: after 1 day
Priority: 1

3. On each of my Smart Lists that I want the reminder to appear on, I simply add "or location:brain" to the end of the search.

4. When I get annoyed by the fact that they are showing as overdue, I mark them complete, and the Repeat brings them back for me.

This results in bold-faced notes at the top of each list, with a red bar to the left, so I can't help but notice them and be reminded of them. I don't use priorities very much (a la Monk Things Done), so they are often the *only* P1 tasks on the list, which makes them stand out even more. (NOTE: If you don't want them boldfaced, don't bother with the Due Date/Repeat. I like the boldface because they stand out nicely).

I have certain Smart Lists that I don't include them in, like "To Mail" and "Out", since they generally don't apply to those lists. But most of my other SL's have them.
Posted at 1:10pm on July 19, 2015
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Rob,

Nice! Creative use of locations. :)

You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 8 years ago
robfreundlich says:
Cool! Thanks very much!
Posted 8 years ago