Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Stay focused with

(closed account) says:
Let's face it: I am very easily distracted. I really need to cut out all the chatter, notifications and bleeps to see any meaningful outcomes at the end of my working day.

Remember The Milk, being my best pal ever since I started organizing my work, provides me with clear and uncluttered lists of things to be done. During my working hours (meaning the hours in which I actually produce stuff) I only need the 3 to 5 actions that need to be done today. So I put all the 'Today' stuff in a dedicated list 'Do today'. With this list opened in a tab in my browser, my horizon is limited to these actions only.

But even here Distraction lurks around every corner. Because next to the 'Do today' list sits my 'Do soon' list. And boy, how tempting it is to just take a little peek into that list. Who knows what may be in it? And before I know it, I find myself wandering through beautiful views of things to come, to work out, to think about a bit more. That's how I can litteraly loose hours of productive time. But now for the solution!

Given how tenacious this problem is (to me), it is hard to believe the solution is so simple. I open my 'Do today' list and then I click on 'Print' in the right hand section of the screen. A new tab opens up in my browser, with nothing more than the actions. No links to other lists, no tags, nothing. It's just the list, 100% distraction free. I close the main RTM tab and off I go. As small as it may seem to anyone, to me this has been a major breakthrough in productivity.
Posted at 11:16am on June 15, 2015