Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keeping track of waiting for items

andrewgodfrey says:
I've been a long time user of getting things done (GTD) and have recently made the move to RTM after using notepad for a couple of years.

The one thing I've really missed from using notepad was the ability to time stamp my 'waiting for' list items using F5 hotkey. I find that time stamping 'waiting for' items, especially when it has involved sending an email, helps me dig out the email much quicker to then chase the actioner.

RTM doesn't seem to have a function to sort or show the time and date a task is created. However, a way around this is to use the ^today smartfilter when you create the 'waiting for' task along with tagging it with something like #wait. I combine this approach with the individual's name at the beginning, for example:

"Barry C - return revised budget forecast #wait ^today"

I then have a saved search for #wait which lists all my waiting for items, who the actioner is and the day I requested the action. I can then sort this list by date or by the actioner (sort by task name).
Posted at 9:42pm on December 16, 2014
alic02 says:
I do something similar. I have a smart list. In the task title I have "expect" and the date initiated eg "20141218". I then click the due date for the date I expect the response.
Posted 9 years ago
alic02 says:
The smart list search word is "expect"
Posted 9 years ago