Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Complete Project Management with RTM

kidonchu says:
As a web developer, I find myself working on multiple projects most of the time (3-4 projects usually). It was very hard to keep track of tasks for each project, and often ended up forgetting some of them. So I developed project tasks management system with RTM. It works great for me, never missing any project tasks. I hope this helps you as well.

Assumption: I am working on a project, "lego".

*** Final List ***

!@work tag:work AND tag:na
+lego+++++ [lego] AND tag:work
+lego-note [lego] AND tag:work AND tag:note
+lego-question [lego] AND tag:work AND tag:question
+lego-todo [lego] AND tag:work AND NOT (tag:note OR tag:question OR tag:wait)
+lego-wait [lego] AND tag:work AND tag:wait

*** Task Naming Examples ***

[lego] Create Sitemap.xml #work (this task will go to +lego-todo list)
[lego] Insert Google Analytics code - waiting for script code from client #work #wait (this task will go to +lego-wait list)
[lego] Create Sitemap.xml - ask Rich what to exclude from sitemap #work #question (this task will go to +lego-question list)
[lego] API key: RTMISGREAT2014 #work #note (this task will go to +lego-note list)

*** Use Cases ***

* Review lists and assign "na" tags to mark it as next task (I review the list every morning in the train, and during lunch time)
* 5 minutes before the meeting, review +lego-question list to set up the agenda
* Review !@work list to see what tasks from what projects need to be done (I normally sort by Name to group by project)
* If you need to hold onto some information related to lego project, place it under +lego-note
* If you are waiting for some information from someone else, place it under +lego-wait, and review this list every other days
* When project is finished, archive entire five lists

*** ETC ***

* +lego+++++ functions as the divider of each project, and also holds all tasks related to "lego" project
* I have extra set of lists to sum up all notes, waits, and questions for all projects
+work-note tag:work AND tag:note
+work-question tag:work AND tag:question
+work-wait tag:work AND tag:wait

I have 3-4 set of these lists except !@work to handle multiple projects. Hope this helps some of you having trouble with project management.
Posted at 12:34am on May 9, 2014
kidonchu says:
Often times, I just duplicate the task to reserve tags, locations, etc. I use this extension http://goo.gl/4BmB7D that I developed few month ago. I can simply press single quote keyboard key to duplicate the task.
Posted 9 years ago