Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Make sure you eat properly with RTM!

olliebaum says:
This tip is quite simple but has many great benefits!

I like to be able to visualise my schedule for the day ahead using RTM. An important part of this is seeing how much I will accomplish before and after lunch and also when the most appropriate time to take my lunch break will be.

Initially, I created a task called 'Lunch' that I would alter the due date on as necessary for that day's schedule and then at the end of the day I would postpone it til the next day. (It seemed unnecessary to acknowledge that I had completed my lunch every day!) It allowed me to see in full the pattern of my day from beginning to end. And encouraged me into the healthy habit of planning a lunch break into my busy schedule so I didn't go hungry when I felt there was too much to do.

This suited me fine until – on one of my more creative days – I made a lovely lunch and decided that I wanted to start taking note of what I ate every day so I could have a more varied diet and make a record of any lunches that I might want to try again.

So I created a task called 'Lunch:' that repeats every day and after eating I edit the task name to record the meal I just ate. e.g. Today I had a Bagel with cream cheese, so that becomes "Lunch: Bagel w/ cream cheese". Once I've edited the task name, I can complete it and another task will be set for the next day. Then when I come to plan tomorrow's schedule I can adjust the time as necessary for that day and so on.

It's a nifty way to keep a track of your eating habits. At the start of the day I can type 'lunch' into the search bar and view completed tasks and then based on my recent lunches I can see what meals I haven't had for a while and make a packed lunch accordingly. It not only helps to keep your diet varied and interesting – avoiding the potential monotony of daily eating – but can act as a source of inspiration when stuck for ideas. You might see a good lunch that you made a couple of months ago that went down well and decide to make it again rather than simply have the same as yesterday. I also save money because it stops me falling into the lazy habit of not preparing my lunch at home and buying something from Starbucks instead.

I now use the same method to keep track of all my meals so have repeating tasks named ‘Breakfast’ and ‘Dinner’, and while these are not so important from a scheduling perspective, if you are on a diet and keeping a food diary it is useful to be prompted to make a note of what you’ve eaten, since it is all too easy to forget. And – as above – it’s good to make sure you’re not skipping meals. It also means I have a quick method to hand for planning the next day’s meals.

Note:
If you implement this with the “repeat after 1 day” functionality you’ll be able to add notes and URLs of recipes that you used for each day. Using the “repeat every day” functionality you will still be able to add URLs for each task but you’ll be unable to add specific notes – i.e. any changes to notes will also change the notes of the already completed tasks – so using the “repeat after” syntax is generally better. :)
Posted at 11:57pm on February 3, 2014