Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Manage energy with tags e1 e2 e3

jacob.l says:
Just as many people use tags for contexts like @office or @errands or @spouse or @boss, I use tags for finding the tasks that match up my level of energy.

Most of my tasks get one of three tags:
- e1 (Low energy)
- e2 (Medium energy)
- e3 (High energy)

I tag my tasks this way, because although managing your time is important, just as important is managing your energy. Loehr and Schwartz wrote a book about it and an article in Harvard Business Review for those interested in the theory. Furthermore, this ties in well with the concept of eat that frog

When I'm alert (often times in the morning) I want to do hard tasks, such as writing or reading a difficult mathematical proof. When I'm this high energy level mode, I go to my smartlist tag:e3 start doing it.

When I'm tired (often times at 5pm or in the evening) I want to do simple tasks like "take photos of Steven's notes on lecture 5" or . Sometimes, I'm in the middle, and I'll do a task with tag:e2.

Also, I lied. There are actaully a forth, e0. That's for tasks I want to do during a break. This should not be tasks like "read sms" or "watch this youtube clip" since those are terrible breaks. Instead, these are the tasks I do during a break, for example: "wash the dishes", "buy groceries", or "clean the desk". In fact, the e0 must be tasks that I can do without a computer; otherwise it's not really a break.
Posted at 8:45pm on February 2, 2014
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jacob.l,

I like it -- great use of tags!

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 2 years ago
draft13 says:
Great stuff.
Posted 2 years ago