Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Creating a Trash Can or Bin to store deleted tasks

olliebaum says:
Due to the generosity of people at RTM we are able to have as many tasks as we choose. However, it is often necessary to delete tasks, because they have since become irrelevant. But since you can have an unlimited number of tasks, why not keep your deleted tasks and just keep them out of sight? Because once tasks are deleted they are gone forever... So... I find it can actually be pretty useful to keep a record of my deleted tasks. Then not only can I recover accidentally deleted tasks but I can review any inefficiencies in the way I organise in RTM (and why I end up deleting so many tasks, instead of completing them! :P).

I implemented this very simply by creating a list called "Bin". All I need to do now when removing a task is select it and click 'Move to... "Bin" list' from the dropdown box at the top of RTM! :)

N.B. It is necessary to adjust your smartlists to avoid picking up tasks in your bin. So add the query [NOT list:"Bin"] to the relevant smartlists to stop 'deleted' tasks showing up.

**Here's a little extra tip** : Once tasks are in the "Bin" list you can complete them so that you have a record of when each task was deleted. It's very useful to be able to order deleted tasks by deletion date. And then, of course, if you decide to retrieve the task, you need only click the "Uncomplete" button and move the task to a relevant list.

This method also allows me to be more decisive when getting rid of tasks because I don't waste time worrying whether deleting a task is too hasty or whether I might need it later. I can always rely on my trusty "Bin" list to retrieve it if necessary. ;)
Posted at 2:53am on January 26, 2014
lhines says:
An actual trash bin would be useful. I accidentally delete tasks without even trying and then they are gone. Having a way to see them and get them back if necessary would be a helpful feature.
Posted 9 years ago