Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

managing a legal office

avv.fabio.palano says:
I'm a lawyer and RTM is my choise for managing my office. The method is very easy but, for me, very efficient. I have no need to buy very expensive and difficult-to-use softwares.

First of all I created a list for all my cases, where the title is composed by the name of the parties (my client and opposing) and a progressive number. Something like: Red/White → 251.

I use the tags to specify:
- "kind" of each case ("judicial" or "extra-judicial")
- "state" ("active", "suspended", "archieved")
- "sector" ("real estate", "taxes", "rent", "family", etc.)

Then, I use the "locations" to specify the "judicial authorities" (first istance court of a certain city, second istance court, etc.).

Of course, the notes are very important to save all the informations about each case.

So, with the smart lists, you can imagine how many useful informations I can have on my office when I need to know, just for example, all the cases about taxes there are pending, where are pending, the sector, etc.

Then, I have another list, named "2do" for all the tasks (calls, appointments, meetings, documents to write, etc.), that are linked to the related case by the number. As I said above, the title of the cases is composed by the name of the parties and a number. So, the task can be: "call red → 251", "meeting with red → 251". Then, a lot of due dates...

Of course, the priority feature is essential in this system.

Now I started to use the sync with evernote, to have even pdfs of the documents related to each case or task.

Of course, at the hearings or at the offices of the courts, the help of RTM is fantastic, and I'm never out of update with the app on my smarthone.
Posted at 1:15pm on January 24, 2014