Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Reusable "Auto-Sorted" Shopping List!

agentpenguin says:
Whenever I go to the store, I like to have my shopping list ready ahead of time to streamline the process as best as possible. I want to be able to go in and just grab what I need and get out again. Also, I don't like to keep typing in items, so I have a "reusable" shopping list method!

- I put all of my common items in a "shopping" list and mark them as completed

- Every item is listed by the aisle number in my local grocery store, example below:

1 - Bananas
1- Potatoes
3 - White Flour
3 - Sugar
3 - Baking Powder
5 - Frosted Flakes
8 - Eggs

- When it's time to go to the store, I "uncomplete" only what I need so all the items I need to buy show up on my list, automatically sorted in the order that I visit the aisles in the grocery store

- I check off the items as I go, and there is no risk of missing items and having to retrace your steps and go alllll the way back to the other side of the store if you forgot something, because it will show up at the top of the list with the aisle number!

- To make it easier to find items in the "complete" list for the next shopping trip, I "uncomplete" and hit "complete" again on all the items to resort them in alphabetical order (default for the completed list is to show up in order of complete date) - but that's just because I am a bit picky on keeping things in order for ease of searching!
Posted at 2:30pm on November 5, 2013
pachela says:
I was just starting to think about how to set up a shopping list in RTM. Thanks for sharing.
Posted 10 years ago
mehardin says:
I just posted pretty much the same suggestion without realizing you had already done it. The only twist I added was to actually create a "dummy task" for each aisle, listing the aisle number and the main items on that aisle. That made it easier to add the aisle number to the other items when I am making my list at home. Sorry to post the duplicate. I just now saw yours. Great minds think alike.
Posted 10 years ago
korrie.grant says:
Can one of you post a url to find your grocery list? Would save me a lot of time. I could just modify the numbers for the aisles. Thanks for considering.
Posted 10 years ago
bridgespotter says:
Great idea. Will give it a go.
Thnx
Posted 10 years ago
sharonmonty says:
As aisles can be quite long I set a due date years ahead for each item using the month as the aisle number and the day date to break down into sections along each aisle.
Posted 10 years ago