Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Dealing with Timezones while Traveling

jjeaton says:
If you use RTM while traveling, you have undoubtedly had to deal with time zone changes and how they affect your RTM tasks.

When I travel on business across time zones, I have to change my iPhone and laptop to whatever time zone I am traveling to, in order to keep my calendar appointments in sync. However, this will mess with all-day RTM tasks. The solution I have found is as follows:

- For quick task updates, I change the time zone setting on my iPhone. (Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically) Set this to "OFF" and your phone should reset to your home time zone. Open RTM, let it refresh, and then make your additons or updates. If you need to see the correct dates for your tasks, leave it in this mode. Just flip the setting back to on, and your phone will update.

- If I know I need to add or change a lot of tasks, I will switch my laptop time zone temporarily using batch scripts that I have set up to switch the time zone back and forth. Windows has a time zone utility "tzutil" built in. So I have two scripts on my desktop, that use a version of the commands below:

tzutil /s "Central Standard Time" -> Switch time zone to CST
tzutil /s "Mountain Standard Time" -> Switch time zone to MST

tzutil /g -> Display the current time zone

This makes it simple to switch back and forth between time zones and still maintain my RTM tasks. Hopefully this will help anyone having issues with time zones and RTM. Just remember that whenever you make updates, your device must be in the same time zone as your home time zone, or wherever you configured RTM.
Posted at 2:13pm on May 17, 2011
mbowes80 says:
Ehhh... what? I'm not following. I'm not worried about updating any tasks... I just want to be able to open RTM on any of my devices and see them with the same due with which they were entered. Have you found a way to make that happen?
Posted 10 years ago