Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

New Feature: Import lists via email

emily (Remember The Milk) says:
You can now send in lists of tasks via email. Details are here.

Hope this feature is useful!

(Also posted on the blog.)
Posted at 8:58am on December 13, 2005
tacker says:
Nice. But if i set the subject to a list which does not exist yet the tasks do not appear.
Posted 18 years ago
tacker says:
So, a new list should be created then.
Posted 18 years ago
Did you check your Inbox?

If the subject is blank or doesn't contain a recognized list name, the tasks will appear in the Inbox.
Posted 18 years ago
rakesh says:
Emily,

Would I be right in saying that tasks sent in via email into the inbox (either with 'inbox' as subject or subject left blank) will show as |x emailed tasks| or |x shared tasks| in the box on the right?

Tasks emailed directly into a specific list, do not show, unless you click on that specific list??
Posted 18 years ago
Yes, the number of emailed tasks will only show tasks that have been emailed to the Inbox -- if you email a task to a list, it bypasses the Inbox altogether.
Posted 18 years ago
tacker says:
emily,

the tasks is sent to a non exitsing list did not appear in my inbox.

Another feature would be to add a due date to the task liek
"This is the discription of the task {1 week}"
where the stuff between { and } is the due date to use.
Posted 18 years ago
tacker, would you mind letting us know the name of the task that you sent to a non-existing list (via email at [old address removed])? We can check where it ended up. I just tried this and mine appeared in the Inbox.

Thanks!
Posted 18 years ago
rakesh says:
Being able to add the due date of tasks sent via email would be great. to avoid mix-ups i've developed a format of entering tasks - whether on-site or via email.

[mm/dd]: [list]: [subject/ref/note]:[description of task]

Example:
on dec 17th, I have to attend school for a parent teacher conference.

this would transfer to RTM as:

12/17: Rakesh: School: Parent teacher conferece - kiddo1

Once emailed, when i next look at my RTM site, I would go to this task and then just change the 'no-date' on the task to '12/17 at 6pm'

----------------

If email tasks could be sent with due dates, it would make things that much more quicker and easier.

Rakesh
Posted 18 years ago
ryptide says:
I was just about to post something similar. Creating tasks with due dates via email would be excellent.
Posted 18 years ago
tacker says:
@emily

Now they appear in my inbox. Well, don't know why they didn't before. Thanks anyway.
Posted 18 years ago
steve.thomas says:
I have seen a lot of project management lists in Excel where they have the Title, Notes, due date, etc in the spreadsheet.

Would it be possible to provide some additional functionality to the import, to allow one to e-mail a list along with thier associated Due Date, Notes, and other fields?
Posted 18 years ago
At this stage we'll be keeping the import lists via email feature pretty simple. With each task being on one line, it would be difficult to specify additional info such as due date -- we could use special characters to separate each field, but this leads to problems if you want to use one of those special characters in the task name.

However, we do plan to provide additional import/synchronization functionality in the future that would allow you to import tasks with all their associated info.
Posted 18 years ago
steve.thomas says:
Thanks, points taken, simple is good.

Opening up an API or additional import/sync features makes sense.
Posted 18 years ago