Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Link to a file or folder on your computer

acoldcube says:
Is there an easy way to add a link to a file or folder on your computer (just as you can link to an URL) ? I would find that very useful ...

I remember reading something about linking to a file with file:///C:\... which you can put into a note, but it doesn't seem to work with spaces in the path, nor does it work in Firefox (at all).

All I would need is a simple link that would open my Explorer and the corresponding folder or link.
Posted at 9:49am on September 3, 2007
johnfoland says:
Firefox will replace spaces with %20s if you paste a local path into the address bar, thus opening it up. However, the other part of making it work with RTM doesn't seem to be working for me at all. I click and click but nothing opens up. I think this article might be very helpful though. I will check it out and tell you if it works for me!
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Well the IE Tab worked perfectly as expected when I added the filter " file:///* ", but it looks like RTM doesn't want to pass the file URL on to my Firefox. I have no idea what's going on, but I suspect it can be fixed or solved.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Check out this topic in the help forum -- it's a security feature of Firefox (you can override it with an extension). Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Perfect. Thanks Emily!
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Oh, and I just read from Emily's link's link that if you have IE Tab installed that you can also right-click the URL and open in new tab or an external app without having to install the locallink extension or editing your user.js. But if you want to be able to just click on it, yeah, you need to do one of the latter.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
[Off topic] jkalvin: How do you post links like that?
Curious...
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Hey rajjan : Same HTML like you would on / for any website. There's a good explanation here. It may look more complicated than it really is on that page, but in reality it's simple. You only need the HREF attribute (to specify the URL). Hope that helps!
Posted 16 years ago
Thanks jkalvin, I thought that RTM stripped HTML just as they stripp "less than" and "greater than".
Posted 16 years ago
yves.paillard says:
Hello,
I am a new user of rtm and very interested by this topic because I would like to create a specific list to manage my own FAQs (all subjects, 1 FAQ=1 task), wishing to use the rtm URL field to link to some web help topic or to some file standing on my pc.
But I have IE installed on my computer (Firefox not allowed by my company).
I have tried to set something like file:///C:\... (with some blanks within the full path) in the rtm URL field, but it doesn't work.
I have tried too with replacing all blanks by %20, but same result (nothing happens when clicking on the link, though the same path correctly works when used directly in IE).
Any idea ?
Posted 15 years ago
Try something like file:///H:/Work/Report%202008.xls (/ instead of \)
Posted 15 years ago
yves.paillard says:
Thanks rajjan.
I've tried the following (using a test file direcly standing under the root of my hard disk) :
file:///C:/test.doc
file:///C:\test.doc
The result is : nOK for both thru rtm (OK for both when entered directly in IE).
Any other suggestions?
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.