Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Tip for using RTM and tags

lnussdor says:
I have been using different task management apps since I got my iPad last year. When I got my iPhone two weeks ago, I decided I wanted reminder platform that would work with my iPhone, iPad, home and work PC. RTM helps my productivity by allowing me to update and check my tasks from any location!

I ascribe to the GTD philosophy of "getting it all out of your head." This philosophy is perfect match for RTM. I am able to use any device to add any tasks or ideas that come to me on the fly. I started to use the tags to denote the context (or type) of the task. For example, all of my tasks that are phone calls are tagged with "calls." When I filter my task list by the tag "calls," my entire list of calls are at my fingertips. This immediately increases my productivity because like buying peanut butter in bulk, doing similar tasks in bulk helps me whiz through my tasks! The "calls" tag is for both my work and personal calls with the same tag, but they are in different folders, in case I want to separate them.

Finally, I went into the Settings menu and changed the Default Due Date to "never." The original Default Due Date is set to "today", but it is important not to have many tasks show up on a particular day because, in my experience, it can be overwhelming to have too many tasks show up on one specific day. Additionally, I have already spent a previous life with Covey rewriting all of my tasks from the day before to the current day. ONLY tasks that have to be done a specific day are listed on that day. For example, I may need to call my dentist to reschedule an appointment on "some" day, but I have to call my friend to wish her happy birthday on a specific day. This allows me a greater sense of accomplishment by getting all (or most) of my tasks done when I only have 5-10 per day. If I have time for extra phone calls, I can pull up my calls and deal with them as my time allows.
Posted at 12:53am on November 26, 2012
bayjoe says:
Forgive such a basic question, but Tags in the Settings menu foes not include an obvious add-a-tag function like the ➕ cue in Lists. How does one create new tags, please? Thank you.
Posted 11 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Just add tags in the task details box and the tag is created there and then. In the Settings, you can rename tags, merge them or delete them.
Posted 11 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi lnussdor,

Nice use of tags! :) You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, so we've added a year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 10 years ago